Born: Rock Hill, SC
Family: Son of James E and Elizabeth Pope
Married Kimberly Greenwood on July 22nd, 1994
Children: Logan, Jacob, Preston, and Kaylen
- Rock Hill High School, 1980
- SC Criminal Justice Academy, 1982
- B.S. University of South Carolina School of Business, 1984
- J.D. University of South Carolina. 1987″
- Speaker Pro Tempore (2014-present)
- House of Representatives, District 47 (2010-present)
- Managing Partner, Elrod Pope Law Firm (2008-present)
- Pope & Associates (2006-2008)
- Solicitor, 16th Circuit (1993–2006)
- Legal Advisor, York County Sheriff’s Office (1992-1993)
- Assistant Solicitor, 11th Circuit
- Member, Judiciary Committee, 2013-2014
- Member, Ethics Committee, 2013-2014
- Member, Medical, Military, Public & Municipal affairs, 2011-2012
- Member, House Republican Caucus, Ethics Reform Study Committee, 2012-2014
- Member, House Republican Caucus, Tax Study Committee, 2012-2014
- Former House Republican Floor Leader
Tommy is the current Speaker Pro Tempore of the South Carolina House of Representatives. A native of Rock Hill, he attended Rock Hill High School, graduating in 1980 and graduated from the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy in 1982. Tommy earned a B.S. from the University of South Carolina School of Business in 1984 and his Juris Doctorate from the University of South Carolina in 1987.
Elected in 1993, Tommy served as a Solicitor in the 16th Circuit for 13 years, where he was known for his efficiency of case management. More notably, Tommy also prosecuted Susan Smith, a mother from Union County who drowned her two children, a case which made national headlines. Today, Tommy is a managing partner at Elrod Pope Law Firm where he currently practices.
Tommy has shown true leadership in the legal community, serving as the President of the SC Solicitors Association from 2001-2003, Chairman of the SC Common Prosecution Coordination in 2006, and Chairman of the Judicial Qualification Commission. Tommy also served on the Winthrop University Board of Trustees from 2009-2011. In 1999, Tommy Pope received the Silver Compleat Lawyer Award from the University of South Carolina Law School Alumni Association, recognizing competence, integrity, ethics and superior performance in his profession. In 2008, Tommy was awarded the Order of the Palmetto, our state’s highest civilian honor for his dedication and service to the people of South Carolina.
Tommy was elected to represent the 47th District of The South Carolina House of Representatives in 2010. Since then, he has served on multiple committees and has helped lead the effort to bring ethics reform to the South Carolina General Assembly. In December 2014, he was named Speaker Pro Tempore.
Tommy received the Key Advocate Award by the SC Chamber of Commerce in 2011, Legislator of the Year by the American Legion in 2012, Legislator of the Year by the SC Association of Adult Education for 2014-2015, and the Legislator of the SC Recreation and Parks Association for 2014-2015.
Contact Speaker Pro Tempore Tommy Pope
Speaker Pro Tempore welcomes your input on the important issues facing our state. We encourage you to reach out to him with your comments, questions and concerns.
Please fill out the form below, and we will respond as quickly as humanly possible!